Holy Redeemer Parish was created by Archbishop Alexander Christie August 13, 1906, from North and Northeastern part of Immaculate Heart Parish. The first boundaries were Killingsworth to Columbia River, 31st Avenue to Willamette River.
The pioneering Redemptorists in charge were:
- Very Rev. Edward Cantwell, C.SS.R., Pastor and Superior
- Rev. Augustine Guendling, C.SS.R.
- Rev. James Moye, C.SS.R.
- Brother Francis Mulder, C.SS.R.
- Missionaries and Assistants
The first Mass in the Parish was celebrated September 16, 1906, in the Keller Sanitarium on the Northeast corner of Portland Blvd. (now Rosa Parks Way), and Cleveland Avenue.
A combination Church-School-Hall on Portland Blvd. at Moore was erected in 1907. This new church, finished in 1926, was dedicated in 1927 by Archbishop Edward Howard on the corner of Portland Blvd. and Williams.